Sunday, April 8, 2012

Downside

There are downsides I can think of to horror movie watching. When you watch too many and suddenly the movies mix together somewhere down the the line. I watched a movie the other day and kept waiting for these people to be trapped in a farmhouse.

They never went near a farmhouse. Sometimes you confuse name titles or just plain forget. And don't get me started on remakes. Do you realize how many Turn of the Screw versions there are? I think like 8.

I hate to say there is absolutely no originality left in movies. But some movies are just too alike. While I love asian horror movies, my mother is beginning to think all asian ghosts have long hair. And I won't even get started on slashers. The only slasher movie I ever saw that I couldn't figure out the end was Cutting Class and that was because it kept switching suspicious people back and forth.

Various tastes of horror all have a formula. Which is probably where originality ran to. I'm waitng for a revolutionary director to kill the cliches. I mean in real life does your car stop working, cell phone battery die, flash light die, leg break, and I won't even begin on pointless sex scenes taking up a half hour of screen time.

Which bring us to movie sex. In certain aspects, doses, and situations, go ahead. In movies like Bad Biology, sex is a given and doesn't come off as too much because it's too much to start with. And the places they have sex. . . I'm a virgin, but I know I'll never get it on in a cave or abandoned hospital or after someone is killing off most of my friends. At least not in the context they put it in. I won't go into the pointlessly long shower scenes. (Except for where's the naked guys? Not that I care, but guys need to shower too.)

Mythology isn't properly represented in horror movies usually. I mean the Sci Fi Channel (not SyFy) really helps out with that kind of stuff, but mainstream hollywood should have a better grasp on that. I mean if you're just vomitting out remakes and 3-Ding everything, branch out.

Anyway I saw a decent ghost story recently. The Awakening (2011) And I'm liking the demon Azazel. He pops up a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment