Thursday, February 9, 2012

WOMAN IN BLACK!

When it came to theatres I went and saw it. I was so excited, I blew all my free change on snacks. (I mean I was her for Halloween) We went to a drive in, for they are notoriously cheaper and double features. Well the Woman in Black was NOT a double feature. Apparently they ran out of movies.

And when I read an article giving a review on it, the movie was described as atmospheric. That's obscure talk for the film is dark as in seeing it in a drive in where some jerk keeps turning on his headlights every five minutes until someone honks and yells is not a good idea.

Besides my complaints it was an all in all good movie. It was a Hammer horror production. It was directed by James Watkins who did Eden Lake. And it was it's own story. These really score big with me.

What I mean by that is it's a remake of a movie made from a book. The first movie stayed close to the book while being on it's own. The new one took certain events and elements and made their own story, which is what I like to see in remakes. Except in the end if I had to compare it to something, I'd think of the Ring. SPOILING STUFF NOW. This movies second half was driven to lay the ghost to rest in an attempt to protect his son as opposed to trying to hurry along his business and leave.  IM DONE NOW.

You don't see the woman as clearly as in the other movie,but that could of just been the headlights again. Speaking of women, their screams seemed to be mechanical, but maybe it's because I don't like kids and don't think I would act like that.

At one point the movie seemed to be just hurried along, but it was a good movie if you can sit and not be distracted during it. Daniel Radcliffe gave a wonderful performance and did a good job being depressed, a brave coward, and a smart enough man. A brave coward because he rejected the supernatural until he couldn't.

There was  this scene in which Radcliffe is given a dog as a companion to help him not be alone, but I wonder half the time where the hell it is. In the book, it followed him everywhere. In the first movie, you knew it was there, but in this movie you only know where it is when you need to know something freaky will happen.

In comparison to the book every villager's personality was a bit opposite. The village was  hostile, confrontational, and more angry then scared. The book had the characters quiet, staying away from the topic, accomadating, and more connected to our protagonist (his woes became theirs). The characterdevelop formula still worked, except maybe when the one guy almost ran down the villagers because no one would act so nonchalant.

The movie itself isn't not scary. It has jump scares and creepy stuff building atmosphere (not just dark because that isn't all atmospere. I'm tired of saying "Oh that movie was dark" and hearing "So you mean it was atmospheric? No.) I find ghost children in general freaky beyond belief.

I can't help but feel all I did was complain ( I have a few more which I won't go into) and haven't done the movie justice. I couldn't enamour myself into the movie with the distractions around me so these things don't pass me by. Next up: A List of Stalker books and stuff that is annoying when trying to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment